from training.npr.org: https://training.npr.org/2018/08/09/reporting-writing-specialist-npr-training/
Reporting & Writing Specialist, NPR Training
(This position is no longer accepting applications.)
The NPR Training team is seeking an accomplished journalist who loves talking about what makes great reporting and writing, particularly on digital platforms. We want someone who can break down the elements of excellent journalism; someone who has the confidence to work with the most experienced journalists and the enthusiasm to work with the newest interns.
We want someone who will find creative ways to guide learning; informed by experience but always looking for innovative news-gathering techniques.
Our creative, enterprising team thrives on individual expertise and a collaborative spirit. We focus on audio and digital storytelling, editing, audio production, design thinking, diversity, leadership and more. We are dedicated to creating a culture of journalistic excellence through reflection, experimentation, and continuous learning.
- Develop curriculum on reporting and writing for NPR and Member-station journalists, to include: digital writing (news and features), sourcing, fact-checking, social reporting and more
- Create original material for the NPR Training site (https://www.npr.org/training), a growing public resource that has found new audiences outside of public media
- Design engaging in-person and remote training sessions
- Coordinate and lead training initiatives at NPR, Member stations and industry conferences
- Collaborate with key stakeholders
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 8 years journalism experience with at least 5 years reporting
- Proven ability to report and write with distinction
- Strong record of high journalistic standards, including fairness, accuracy and inclusion
- Proven ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with members of a team
- Strong communication skills
- Record of collegial work
- Ability to travel when needed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated ability to nurture and improve the work of others
- Digital audience engagement experience
- Editing experience
- Public presentation/facilitation skills
- Audio storytelling
- Fluency with digital platforms and tools i.e. WordPress, Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Trello, etc.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. Apply here. When you apply, please include a resume and, in lieu of a traditional cover letter, answer the following prompts (Your responses don’t need to be long; one or two paragraphs per question):
- Tell us about a story you are proud of and why. How did you get the story?
- The NPR Training team is based in the NPR newsroom, but we’re not the people making the content you hear/read/watch. What appeals to you about our work?
- What’s one of the most pressing training needs in reporting today?
- Describe one way your digital writing or reporting has evolved.
- What is something you would like us to know about yourself that we wouldn’t ordinarily get from a resume or cover letter?
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Questions? Email email@example.com