from training.npr.org: https://training.npr.org/2018/11/19/audience-digital-content-specialist-npr-training/
Audience & Digital Content Specialist, NPR Training
The NPR Training team is seeking an experienced journalist who is passionate about exploring the many places where audiences and content intersect. We are looking for someone who is a strong editor and content strategist, loves creating things and delights in leading other journalists to breakthrough moments.
You will direct the digital presence of NPR Training, including the newsletter, social channels, and npr.org/training, a premier journalism training resource. You’ll also train journalists of all levels, from interns to veteran reporters, producers and editors, at member stations and at NPR. Through one-on-one and group sessions, conference workshops and publishing content to the training site, you’ll have an opportunity to become a leading voice on best practices in digital journalism.
Come join a creative, enterprising team that thrives on individual expertise and a collaborative spirit. We focus on audio and digital storytelling, editing, audio production, design thinking, diversity, leadership and more. We are dedicated to creating a culture of journalistic excellence through reflection, experimentation and continuous learning.
- Serve as the editor and product owner of the NPR Training site, newsletter, and social channels. Create and manage an editorial calendar, assign deadlines, edit material, lead engagement efforts for the team and manage the site
- Work with Training team colleagues to turn analytic and audience insights into new training material and strategies
- Develop digital journalism curriculum for NPR and Member-station journalists on topics like social platforms, audience engagement, headlines, SEO, analytics and more
- Work with NPR’s Digital Content team and member stations to develop and communicate best practices around digital journalism and online engagement
- Design engaging in-person and remote training sessions
- Coach public media journalists, providing guidance and feedback on their work
- Lead training initiatives at NPR, Member stations and industry conferences
- Collaborate with key stakeholders
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 6 years’ journalism experience, with at least 3 years working in an audience engagement or content strategy capacity
- Experience with search engine optimization best practices, and other tactics to grow audience with news content
- Experience shaping and editing editorial content
- Professional experience with publishing, project management and analytics tools like WordPress, Tweetdeck, Trello, Google Analytics, Chartbeat, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to support and improve the work of others
- Record of high journalistic standards, including standards of fairness, accuracy, and inclusion
- Proven ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with members of a team
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to travel when needed
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience in building an online audience around a news brand, journalist or story coverage
- Experience managing a social media account for a news organization or online audience engagement effort
- Experience with visual storytelling, such as photo editing, graphic design or illustration, video and/or data visualization
- Demonstrated speaking and presentation experience in front of small and large groups
- Strategic thinker, with the ability to work with others to put together robust, detailed plans
- Familiarity with ‘Agile’ product development methodology.
- Familiarity with project management
- Familiarity with audio production/storytelling
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. Apply here. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered and answers the following questions:
- Describe a digital editorial project that you lead or significantly help to shape. What was your strategy?
- The NPR Training team is based in the newsroom, but we’re not the people making the content you hear/read/watch. What appeals to you about the team’s work?
- What’s one of the most pressing training needs in digital storytelling today?
- Describe one way you apply audience-centered thinking in your work.
- What is something you would like us to know that we wouldn’t ordinarily get from a resume or cover letter?
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org