from training.npr.org: https://training.npr.org/session/voice-coaching/
January 4, 2022 - December 31, 2024
VoiceWork with Jessica Hansen will give you tools and techniques specific to your voice, to create your best vocal performance.
*Note: Your supervisor must sign off on the time commitment, and you must be NPR staff.
How does it work?
- 1-on-1 sessions: individual work that gives you personalized tools.
- Workshops for teams: Jessica can create a workshop customized to your needs and focus.
- Tracking session: Jessica can sit in as you track, or run through your piece with you beforehand, to polish your vocal storytelling.
- Airchecks: send Jessica a link to your story or spot and get feedback on your vocal performance.
Who can do VoiceWork with Jessica?
- On-air talent, broadcast and podcast (hosts, reporters, correspondents).
- Producers – to help you get the best performance from talent.
- Anyone who speaks professionally as part of your work (conferences, presentations, zoom all day, etc).
What can VoiceWork with Jessica do for me?
- Sound conversational – sound like yourself, on your best day
- Sound authoritative, confident – achieve the sound you want
- Create vocal energy and sound engaged, end vocal fatigue
- Add resonance for a fuller, richer sound·
- Pace, speed – get the right pacing and phrasing to be clearly understood
- Emphasis – learn which words matter, and which really don’t
- Breathe better – no more running out of breath. Gain strength, endurance, and control
- Manage Nerves. Stay calm and in control of your performance.·
- Kill Monotone or sing-song – learn vocal variety and range of expression
- End getting tired, hoarse, or sore from speaking – learn proper technique to eradicate fatigue
- Get rid of mouth noise!
- Mic technique – use your equipment to serve your vocal performance
- How (and why!) to warm up – all the tools to prepare you for vocal ease
- Cough, cold, allergies – care for your voice
- Jaw tension – release your jaw so you can free your sound